This page aims at facilitating the installation of Seeks on a nearby platform or light server that are gradually becoming pervasive and more powerful at the same time.
Those computational resources geographically close to you are often called "Boxes" but this name is not really explicit hence the proposed alternative name. Set-Top Box also seems to be linked to TV.
The goal is to spread the project and increase the number of nodes
- find which nearby platform is becoming popular
- add it here and complete all the information available
- see how Seeks could be run on it
- at least run request through (e.g. default search input)
- packaged, test and run
- edit back this page to inform others of your efforts
- make it a default package
|name||type||technical requirements||supported languages||specific capabilities||licenses||manufacturer||code repository||date of last update||contact||porting effort|
|FreeBox||ISP box||http://www.freebox-v6.fr http://www.freeplayer.org||?||?||?||Free||?||?||?||?|
|OpenWrt||Generic wifi routeurs||http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/devel/packages||?||?||?||?||https://dev.openwrt.org||?||#OpenWRT on freenode||obinou|
|ADD ONE HERE!||?||?||?||?||?||?||?||?||?||?|
Distribution / "App Store"
|name||technical requirements||supported languages||specific capabilities||licenses||manufacturer||date of last update||contact||package effort|
|LaDistribution||http://ladistribution.net/blog/2009/07/how-to-create-a-package-tutorial-with-moonmoon/||PHP/MySQL||?||?||?||?||#LaDistribution on freenode||?|
The contact section could be on who to contact for packaging support but also who to lobby to get the Seeks installed by default.
- add domotic hardware that could host a Seeks instance
- add equipment for meeting rooms and videoconferencing that could host a Seeks instance
- could be interesting for energy conscious user to show the increase of resources required to run Seeks on their hardware
- consider sharing the geographical position to facilitate a feature of "search through a geographically close Seeks instance"
- note that it could be faked
- provide proofs of stability (tests result, uptime, ...) to http://FreedomBoxFoundation.org
- cf discussion with Moglen
- prepare data before argumenting with "platform gatekeepers"
- check new from http://www.quora.com/What-are-the-most-innovative-extension-of-wifi-routers